StairwayToHeaven Recipes Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum for our members to leave recipes in to share with other members from our league. Also you can vote for games that you want the league to host.

Surprise Pudding

groovycook1709
    groovycook1709
    Admin
    Admin

Surprise Pudding Empty Surprise Pudding

Post by groovycook1709 Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:56 am

Surprise Pudding

Surprise Pudding SurprisePudding

Serves 8

Ingredients
    500g raw beetroots, preferably organic, scrubbed clean
    2 thumb-sized pieces of fresh ginger, finely chopped
    3 large organic eggs, separated
    150ml honey
    170ml olive oil
    seeds from 2 vanilla pods
    2 heaped teaspoons baking powder
    100g polenta
    zest and juice of 1 orange
    a good pinch of salt
    a good pinch of allspice
    a good pinch of cinnamon
    150g plain flour
    200g crème fraîche
    1 wineglass of vin santo, Marsala or sherry
    2 heaped tablespoons caster sugar

Method
    When I was little, a gym opened around our way and it had a juice bar where they served this amazing carrot cake with a twangy sour cream topping. This is one of my efforts at making boring old carrot cake remotely credible. My mate Peter Begg, the friendly Scotsman, suggested I swap carrot for beetroot, which I did, and the result was marvellous. Thanks Pete!

Preheat the oven to 180°/350°F/gas 4. Peel your beetroots then coarsely grate them into a bowl. Add the ginger, egg yolks, honey and olive oil in a bowl and add the seeds from 1 vanilla pod. Whisk together, then add the baking powder, polenta, orange zest and juice, salt, allspice, cinnamon and flour. In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the beetroot mixture.

Get yourself a 25cm cake tin or cheesecake mould. Rub with butter and dust with a little flour to stop the cake sticking. You could also line it with greaseproof paper to be really sure. Pour in the mixture then bake in the preheated oven for around 35 minutes until spongy. Test whether it's ready by poking a cocktail stick into it – if it's clean when it comes out you know the cake's done. Allow to cool.

Whisk the crème fraîche with the vin santo, sugar and the seeds from the remaining vanilla pod. Taste and adjust to your liking with a bit more sugar and vin santo. Serve the cake in wedges with a big dollop of the vin santo and vanilla cream.

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:01 pm